25 Reasons to Love the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro Region in Winter
From cozy breweries to one-of-a-kind events, the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro region is teeming with activity during the winter months — despite the chilly temperatures! Here’s your go-to guide to all the can’t-miss fun in this winter wonderland.
Mall of America®
1. Check Mall of America Off Your Bucket List — A must-see for Bloomington visitors, the Mall of America has it all.
2. Indulge in Surf & Turf at Bloomington ChopHouse — Known for their perfectly aged steaks and fresh seafood, the Bloomington ChopHouse is great for date night or a special dinner treat.
3. Spend a Day at Twin Cities Premium Outlets — With more than 100 outlet stores, you could easily spend a whole day finding great deals. Avoiding the cold never felt so good!
4. Kick Back at Volstead House Whiskey Bar & Speakeasy — If you can find the red door, then you’ve found the entrance to one of Eagan’s hippest bars. Order off a menu that features more than 60 whiskeys and don’t forget about the burgers!
5. Shop Till You Drop in Edina — Have some holiday money burning a hole in your pocket? Shopping Edina is your fix! Browse between 50th and France, Southdale Center and the Galleria.
6. Play a Round at Pinstripes — Fancy a game of bocce ball? Head to Pinstripes for food, drinks and fun!
Inver Grove Heights
7. Pretend It’s Summer at The Grove Aquatic and Fitness Center Waterpark — Tired of layering up to go outside? Stay indoors and enjoy a day at the waterpark. Spice up your winter with a taste of summer fun.
Dakota Curling Club
8. Learn to Curl at the Dakota Curling Club — Whether you just drop in or schedule an instructional class, you’ll be curling like a pro before you know it in historic downtown Lakeville.
9. Start and End Your Day at Mainstreet Coffee & Wine Bar — Kick start your day with a delicious cup of joe and wind down with a smooth glass of your favorite red — Mainstreet Coffee & Wine Bar has it all.
The Great Northern courtesy of BLK WLF Photography
10. Find Something for Everyone at The Great Northern — A collection of all the best that Minneapolis has to offer, The Great Northern includes carnivals, dining events, outdoor sports and more!
11. Bring Out the Whole Family to the City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival — The City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival has food trucks, skating, cross-country skiing, luminary trails and more.
Central Park Ice Loop
12. Try Something New at Maple Grove’s Central Park Ice Loop — This isn’t your same-old ice skating rink. The 800-foot loop wanders through picturesque winter landscapes and offers a unique skating experience.
13. Catch a Show at the Yellow Tree Theatre — Critically acclaimed, the Yellow Tree Theatre is the epicenter of Minneapolis Northwest’s thriving art scene.
14. Skate the OVAL in Roseville — Enjoy the sparkling lights of 120 trees at this family-friendly winter destination. Bring your own skates or rent them.
15. Browse the Shops at the Rosedale Center — Roseville has its fair share of shopping, but the Rosedale Center is the place to start. With 140,000-square feet of shopping nirvana, you’ll certainly walk away with a good find (or three!).
16. Taste Local Flavors at the Winter Beer Dabbler — Now in its ninth year, the Winter Beer Dabbler once again gives attendees the chance to sample more than 120 breweries, complete with live music, food and more.
17. Bite Into a Slice of Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza — Emission-free coal ovens and only the freshest ingredients make this Saint Paul pizza parlor the perfect place to refuel after a day out in the cold.
18. Dance the Night Away at Mystic Lake — Donny and Marie, Ron White, Michael Bolton and more star-studded acts will be performing at Mystic Lake.
19. Stay Cozy in Historic Bed and Breakfasts — From resplendent mansions to cozy carriage houses, staying at one of Stillwater’s historic bed and breakfasts is the perfect way to add some spice to your winter itinerary.
20. Relax With Drinks and Good Food at Brick & Bourbon — One of Stillwater’s newest eateries, Brick & Bourbon believes in fresh ingredients and impeccable fare. And while it may be cold outside, one of the signature wine slushies are sure to warm you up!
St. Louis Park
21. See Behind the Scenes at Copperwing Distillery — Known for their vodka, gin and “vodskey,” Copperwing Distillery offers visitors a glimpse behind the curtain, with tours, tastings and more.
22. Slap Some Pucks at the Rec Center — Hockey season goes all the way through March, and the St. Louis Park Rec Center offers adult and youth hockey programs throughout the season!
Twin Cities Gateway
23. Enjoy Family Fun in Twin Cities Gateway — From indoor waterparks to cross-country skiing, there’s so much for families to do in Twin Cities Gateway. So bundle up, or stay cozy indoors — either way, you’ll have fun!
24. Sip Craft Beer and Wine — Twin Cities Gateway has all your craft beer and wine needs covered. HammerHeart Brewing, Willow Tree Winery — you’ll be raising a glass in no time!
Waconia Ice Fishing
25. Try Your Hand at Ice Fishing — See if you have what it takes to hook a catch-of-the-day with an ice fishing excursion at In Towne Marina.